
Today I was in one of those moods that everything seems to set me off. Well, it didn't start out like that. It actually started out quite nice. I'm not quite sure what time it set in. Probably later, more towards when nap time should have been. The more tired my kids seemed to get the more tired I felt, and in turn the more grumpy I seemed to become. Now, I'm not making excuses for myself. I am responsible for my actions, just like anyone else.
Having introduced the topic to you, I want to ask a question. I know that I am not the only person to get grumpy. If I am, then wow, I have a lot more to work than I thought! I want to know, what is it that can bring you out of your grumpy mood? Do you have a "thing" that you can do? Will it channel your irritable feelings into something positive?
I recently had another bad day and at nap time, I decided to channel my negative feelings into something positive. I sat down and began writing. I started where I left off last, on my work in progress (the project I am writing for those of you who don't know). I probably wrote for about two hours, until the girls woke up. I did nothing else.
It wasn't just that I wrote, I let go of my life, and stepped into someone else's! I left behind all of the things that seemed to be weighing on me. I walked in my character's shoes, and quite enjoyed myself. It was a wonderful and therapeutic way to forget myself, but at the same time, do something that I truly love doing.
After I put away my computer, I got up from where I was sitting, and I felt like I had a bit of a bounce in my step! I greeted my kids with warm and loving hugs. They were happy to see that I wasn't a grump anymore. It is hard on a kid when his or her parents are grumps.
So the lesson that I learned that day was: Take at least an hour out of my day to do something for me. And in my case, it is to write. Since I don't always fulfill my goals in writing each day, maybe this will be a good motivator. When I do, I won't be pent up with stress and the grumpy syndrome!
What is the one thing that can make any mood brighter for you? I am interested to hear what anyone else likes to do.

4 comments:
So I got to thinking about what you have written. It seems to me that when I am grumpy (which is often) I have an internal dialouge with myself to talk me out of my grumpyness. It may go something like this:
Me:Wow! You sure are grumpy today.
Myself: No I'm not you fag!
Me: Why don't you stop being a grump already?
Myself: Buzz off!
Me: I'll give you some candy!
Myself: a Snickers?
Me: Deal.
Myself: Hey. I feel better already.
Me: My job is done here.
I have often felt that grumpyness is a decision for me. A lot like not allowing myself to become angy. If I can talk myself out of it, it won't happen. Anger can be controlled by a conscious decision to not become such. I think grumpyness is derived from pent-up feelings that feel like they are out of control, but I am too lazy to really DO anything about it besides becoming grumpy and rude to everyone.
I realize my way of dealing with grumpyness is not the most witty way or even the most popular way. But that's how I DO! Love ya babe!
JJ
Good to know. Now, when I do something I'm sure you aren't going to happy with, I can come home with a ginormous snickers!! I love you baby. You made me smile with your comment!
Good post, all thanks for the tips
I'm grumpy today...but I'm too grumpy to have a convo with myself. I need another suggestion...
Post a Comment